Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

A while back one of our This is topics was favorite children's book and I listed my favorite story, Peter Pan. However, I don't really consider Peter Pan a "children's" book, unless you're talking about "children of all ages" because as an adult I enjoy it as much as I did when I was a kid. Then a couple weeks ago I was reminded of a book from my childhood that was, by far, my favorite. It's called Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett and illustrations by Ron Barrett.

The story is a grandfather telling his grand kids about a town called Chewandswallow where all the food the town eats comes from the weather.





It rains juice and snows mashed potatoes and peas and there are big hamburger storm clouds.


The weather comes three times a day



They have a roofless restaurant




And things were good




Until....



Things started to go uncontrollable



Way out of control



So the townspeople decide to leave Chewandswallow by making boats out of huge slices of bread



They go across the sea where they are welcomed but where they have to get used to things like grocery stores.


And they all lived happily ever after. Or something like that. It's a great story and the illustrations are alot of fun to look at. This copy is going to be a certain little girl's Christmas present because she loves books. A girl after my own heart.

2 comments:

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

What a fabulous looking book!

QuiltNut Creations said...

one of our family favorites here