Monday, April 6, 2009

I love surprises!

This weekend was, after a rocky start, a really lovely weekend. For the most part, it was spent doing things like laundry and a little bit of yard work/gardening. Saturday, after my brief bit of discomfort, I went out and decided to pull up this stuff from the flowerbed in the front of the house (it's the stuff right up against the house)...

I don't know what it's called but it was all over the place and hiding a couple of very pleasant surprises...


I had noticed the big leaves a few days back but, not being a plant person, I didn't know what kind of plant it was. Then I noticed this little gem peeking out of the jungle...


and decided right then this stuff had to go. If for no other reason but to see the full beauty of the lily.

I must say that it was so nice to see that lone flower struggling to get through all that mess. It brought to mind some wayward metaphor for life that I won't bore you with but it really made me smile. Now, if I can just keep from killing the poor thing like I do most other plants, I'll be very happy.

1 comment:

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

What a lovely surprise! Good luck keeping it well, I'm not good with plants either.