Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Midnight Romp

This is another post about my dog. I figured it's been a while and you were all probably hungry for more stories about the Bubbers. Soooooo...for the last three nights he has been hit with a case of hyperdog syndrome at midnight each night. I'll be turning off all the lights or the tv or what have you, and...zoom!!!!...up comes this little red bullet onto the bed with his toy of choice. He inevitably drops it on or near my face and, let me tell you, old used-up raggedy dog toys STINK!!! P.U.! If I don't respond he does one of two things, first, he does this really short, intermittent, quiet growl then if that doesn't work he simultaneously does this little stomp of both his front feet while exhaling really loud and quick. Think if you had a gnat fly up your nose all of a sudden and the blowing that would accompany this, that's what it sounds like. Finally, if I still don't respond he jumps up on top of me and repeats both steps one and two.

But really, it hardly ever gets to this point because he's just so darn cute that I can't resist playing with him and I tell myself that it's not like I was already asleep. So I play for about 10 or 15 minutes and he's perfectly happy the rest of the night. The ultimate reward for putting off sleep for 15 minutes is the cuddling that always occurs at the end of a play session. He has to be as close to your face as possible during cuddling and needs to have at least one hand within licking distance. How can you resist such a loving creature? I sure can't. I do think that if this is our new bedtime ritual I'm just going to have to start turning off the lights earlier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Charlie Brown read this and was about so say, "Good grief!", but instead he put his hand on his forehead, and walked away quietly.